Meet some of our board members, Karen Dye, Qorsho Hassan, and Reynolds-Anthony Harris, as we talk to them about their lives and Black History Month!Read More
Super Bowl LII is taking place right in our own backyard this year! This week, Minneapolis has become Super Bowl central, filling up with fans of the Patriots, Eagles, and football alike. In honor of this (and inspired by The Future Boys & Girls "Coats, Hats, and Gloves" video, featured in our January newsletter), we've been asking our students for some of their best advice to Minnesota's Super Bowl guests (including the players themselves!). Here's what they have to say:
- No moving around for no reason.
- Put your hair up because your hair can get in your face.
- Make sure you bring your jacket and your boots.
- Don't fall on the ice.
- When you get the ball, throw it as high as you can.
- Follow the rules of the law and don't fight.
- Minnesota has nice people, it it good to live in.
- Why are you here?
- Just be prepared.
- Minnesota is safe (most of the time).
- You need to beat the Eagles.
- You need to have bigger pads.
- You should eat waffles every day.
- Come to the MOI Library. [Captain's note: this wasn't us!]
- Be nice to the Vikings fans and people from Minnesota.
These pieces of advice are compiled from our Writers' Table. Each day after students at After-School Homework Help finish their homework, they go to work on their writing with our Writer in Residence, Ellen. This week, we've been discussing advice for people visiting Minnesota for the Super Bowl! What advice would you give people visiting your hometown for a weekend? Share it with us on social media!
Letter from the Executive Director: Looking forward to what 2018 will bring, we also want to reflect on what went well in 2017.
Porthole into Programming: Our five arms of programming have been starting up again, and teaching us new things about how to approach problems.
In the News: Students are using their voices to share important messages about staying warm during Minnesota winters.
Our Annual Report: Check out our 2016–2017 Annual Report for a quick overview of a full year!
Student Spotlight: Mohamed wrote us a sneaky poem during a special focus group session of homework help.Read More