After-School Homework Help
MOI offers free drop-in homework help four days a week. Students in grades K–12 are welcome to come and work with a tutor on any homework assignment they have. Our staff and trained volunteers are very knowledgeable and can offer guidance in anything from early writing skills to advanced chemistry.
How It Works
- Students must be registered to attend After-School Homework Help. MOI has registration forms at our location for parents to fill out and sign. Students are welcome to start homework help the same day they are registered, but parents must fill out the form in person.
- MOI is open Monday to Thursday, from 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm. We are a drop-in program, so students do not need to sign up in advance. Once they're registered, students are welcome to come as often as they have homework.
- When students come to MOI, they are given a snack and paired with a trained volunteer, who works with them one-on-one or one-on-some to set goals for their session and complete their assignments.
- Once students have finished their homework, they have the chance to work with our Writer-in-Residence, Ellen. At the Writers' Table, students work on various writing prompts to improve their writing and editing skills. At the end of each semester, their writing is bound in-house into a chapbook.
- All done! Once students have finished their homework and the day's writing prompt, we ask that they leave so we can work more effectively with the other students in the space. In addition, we ask that students are not at MOI for more than 2 hours.
Mid-Continent Oceanographic Institute follows the calendar of Minneapolis Public Schools, so when MPS is not in session, we do not offer programs (especially After-School Homework Help). For the MPS calendar, please go here. For weather-related school closing information, please go here. MOI's calendar is available below. You can also follow our social media (to the right) for updates.
At MOI, we love to share what we're doing with others. From events to student work, volunteer opportunities to funny articles, we are active on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, and we'd love for you to follow us for updates and fun. If your student has a signed media and publishing release, you may even see them on our social media!